Moving can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, but there are certain steps you can take to ensure a hassle-free relocation.
CEO and Managing Director of SA Furniture Removals (Pty) Ltd, Werner Heyns, says following a schedule,starting eight weeks before the actual move, is the most efficient way to proceed.
The most important factors for a successful move are "planning ahead and picking the right moving company for you", says Heyns.
“A moving company will take the stress out of the process, giving you peace of mind that professionals are handling the move.”
According to Heyns, here’s what to do 8 weeks before the move:
- Ask yourself when you want to move. Visit the website of a reputable moving company to request a quote or survey to make your execution date and move easier.
- Before the survey, inspect your goods and decide which items you would like to move.
- Dispose of any unwanted items. You can have a sale in your neighbourhood, sell items on the net or donate to the needy. It is very important to dispose of any hazardous items.
- Make your decision - will you be doing the packing, or will the moving company? SA Furniture Removals suggest that clients pack away private items in boxes themselves. Your moving quote will be substantially lower if you do your own packing.
- Begin packing items you will not need or use during the next month or two ahead of time.
Advice for packing your boxes:
- Number boxes, for example 1 of 17, 3 of 17 - it will keep you in control of your boxes, and you will not feel overwhelmed with too many boxes.
- Colour code boxes for each room. You can use stickers or coloured permanent markers.
- As a priority, mark boxes containing breakables with a different colour, for example bright red.
Finally, have an inventory list of what items are in which box number and keep your list with you at all times,” says Heyns.
When you arrive at your new destination and you’re really in need of a cup of coffee, you can check your inventory list and see in which box you packed your kettle, coffee, sugar and cups immediately.
Heyns says SA Furniture Removals recommends that you follow these few simple instructions to make your move feel much more controlled and less chaotic.